Moving to a new home requires a lot of planning and organization. Follow these essential moving tips to ensure the move goes smoothly.
Tips for Saving Money on Moving
• DIY moving is not always cheaper: calculate the cost of renting a truck and fuel and then decide whether it is really worth it. Don’t forget the cost of food and drinks for anyone who helps you!
• Schedule moves for down times: The end of the month and summer are the busiest times for moving. If you can move at a time other than this, you will be able to get better deals.
• Choosing the cheapest mover could cost you: saving a few bucks might not be worth the risk of damaged belongings or poor customer experience.
• Make sure you understand all costs: moving services vary considerably. Get a detailed description of what is included in services.
Packing for Your Move
• Clean and organize your home before packing: discard unnecessary items and be sure all items are in their appropriate rooms
• Don’t over pack boxes: over-packed boxes will likely burst or not stack straight.
• Fill empty spaces in boxes with towels or sheets: the box will crush if not fully packed
• Use small boxes for heavy items: books and dishes get heavy fast so put them in small boxes
• Set aside essential items: any items you will need for the night before and day of the move should be set aside (clothing, toiletries, snacks, etc.). You can transport them yourself or put them on the moving truck last so you can access them right away.
• Pack valuable and irreplaceable items separately: transport these items (like jewelry, documents, and family photo albums) yourself
• Ask what items cannot be transported: moving companies usually can’t transport gases and flammables. If you pack these, it might void insurance policies.
• Use a waterproof marker to label boxes on the top and at least one side: Be sure to write what is in the box and what room it goes into.
Moving Equipment Tips
• You will need more boxes than you realize!
• Avoid using supermarket boxes: they are usually damaged and dirty
• Only use packing tape on boxes: duct tape is NOT suitable for moving!
• Assembly Tools: remember to keep any tools needed for disassembling/reassembling furniture handy. Put any small parts (like screws) into a sturdy plastic bag and tape it to the furniture.
• Strategically use wrapping and padding: you can save space and cut down on bubble wrap use by using your own items as padding. For example, you can use kitchen towels to wrap your dishes.